Lamb moussaka rolls
This healthy recipe uses a combination of lamb mince, vegetables and herbs that are easy to source or grow yourself.
The casserole is a low-carb recipe and uses the tasty, fried brinjals in which to roll up the spicy lamb mince, which is then baked in a succulent tomato and herb sauce.
Serve the rolls up with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and a fresh green garden salad.
Prep time: 15 minutes
2 large brinjals
45ml Sunfoil Sunflower Oil
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g lamb mince
10ml ground cumin
15ml ground coriander
15ml tomato paste
salt & milled black pepper
45ml fresh coriander, chopped
1 x 400g jar tomato-based pasta sauce
60ml Parmesan cheese
Fresh green salad
Fresh coriander leaves, optional
1. Slice the brinjal lengthwise, into long thin strips.
2. Brush each side with some oil. Heat a griddle pan to high heat and cook the brinjal slices, in a single layer, for 2-3 minutes per side or until tender.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking until browned.
5. Stir in the cumin, coriander and tomato paste.
6. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
7. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh coriander.
8. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
10. Pour the pasta sauce into an ovenproof dish.
11. Lay a brinjal slice on a chopping board and place 2 tablespoons of the mince mixture at one end and roll up into a cannelloni-like shape. 12. Place the roll, end side down, into the baking dish, in a single layer. Repeat with the remaining brinjals and mince mixture.
13. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Serve with a green salad and top with fresh coriander, if desired.
- Recipe created and tested by Willowton Group.