Slow cooker vegan butternut squash mac and cheese
for 6 servings
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
raw cashews (65 g)
nutritional yeast(35 g)
- 1 clove garlic
vegetable stock(480 mL)
elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions(455 g)
- fresh parlsey, for garnish
- Cut off both ends of the butternut squash and poke all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Peel the skin off of the squash. The skin should peel right off! Once peeled, slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, and cut into 1-inch (2-cm) cubes. You should have about 5 cups (1 kg).
- In a slow cooker, combine the squash, onion, cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, rosemary, nutmeg, olive oil, mustard, salt, and vegetable stock. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until the vegetables are soft enough to be easily mashed with a fork.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender, or use an immersion blender, and puree for 5 minutes, until there are no chunks and the sauce develops a creamy texture.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir well.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Tasty.co