The ins and outs of period pain
Ask any woman and she will tell you … period pains are not something worth messing with.
But, why exactly do women get them?
Period pains or menstrual cramps also go by the medical term dysmenorrhea and are normally caused by a hormone called prostaglandins. This hormone actually helps your period to happen. It causes your womb to contract in order for the extra lining that has built up and the egg to exit your body in the form of a period.
Period pains normally start right before you get your period and are the worst about a day after you start it. Research has shown that women generally experience period pains one to two days before a period and it can last one to two days into a period. About 80% of women experience period pain, but only five to ten percent have severe period pain, which is sometimes so painful that it interferes with their daily routine.
Many things can impact period pains like constipation, a bladder infection, poor sleeping habits and diet. For example, not having enough minerals and vitamins and cold weather can worsen the pain.
Things you can do to make it less painful:
– Exercise has been proven to help relieve period pains. Exercising releases endorphins (hormones) that help to relieve stress and tension in the muscles
– Over-the-counter painkillers that are made specifically to target period pain.
– Ginger is a natural inflammatory, so drinking ginger tea made with fresh root and honey can help not only with the pain but will help you relax as well.
– Natural remedies such as acupuncture and massages can help decrease the pain as it relaxes the muscles
– Heat is one of the best medicines for period cramps, for example, using a hot water bottle or taking a relaxing hot bath will help to relieve the cramps
– Being comfortable also plays a big role. You cannot relax if you are not comfortable, which is why choosing the right Kotex Pad or Tampon is so important. For example, if you are worried about your heavy flow use the Kotex All Nighter Maxi Pad, which is the longest and widest in the Kotex range. If a maxi pad is not your vibe, you can look at using the Kotex Ultrathin Pad, which offers you discretion and 3-in-1 benefits: protection against leakage, maximum comfort and a perfect fit for your body. The ultrathin pads are designed with an innovative core for instant absorption and protection against leakage. Kotexalso has an array of differently sized tampons that have a unique blue ultra-absorbent zone for extra leakage protection, so you never have to worry about any accidents.