Something delicious for the meat-lovers out there
500g pork belly, boneless
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
45ml canola oil
3 onions, thickly sliced
4 pretzel rolls
butter, to serve
mustard, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Score the skin of the pork belly in straight lines with a sharp knife. This will help slice the pork after the skin has crisped up.
3. Season the skin and underside of the belly with salt and black pepper.
4. Place on a baking tray, skin side up, in the oven.
4. Once the skin has crisped up, reduce the heat to 160°C and continue roasting for another hour and 30 minutes.
6. Allow resting for 20 minutes before slicing.
7. Heat the canola oil over a medium heat.
8. While the belly is roasting, slice thickly slice the onion rings and brown them in the hot oil until soft and translucent.
9. Season with salt and continue cooking until they are golden.
Slice a pretzel roll in half without separating it.
Butter both sides and add a good layer of mustard before adding the pork belly.
Top with the caramelised onions and finally some tangy chutney before covering with the other half of the pretzel roll.
Tip: To keep the pretzel rolls fresh, wet wax paper and wrap the rolls in the paper, then place in a hot oven for five minutes. This allows the rolls to steam inside the wax paper, keeping the inside soft and the outside nice and chewy.
Recipe courtesy www.taste.co.za.