A delicious light summer soup the entire family will enjoy
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
50g prosciutto, whole
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
6 small turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
1 leek, chopped
2 celery stalks, cut into batons
30g Parmesan (or Grana Padano) rind (or a piece of the cheese)
8 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
500g broad beans, blanched and shocked in ice water (the shell can be tough, so it can be peeled off)
200g fresh or frozen peas
16 asparagus tips
24 shiitake mushrooms, stems broken off and sliced thinly
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1. In a big pot, heat the oil and butter to melting point.
2. Add the prosciutto and garlic, and cook slowly for a few minutes.
3. Add the carrot, turnips, leek and celery and sweat for three minutes.
4. Add the Parmesan rind, stock, salt and pepper, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat. Place soup over an ice-water bath to cool quickly. (Alternatively, do step 1 the day before serving the soup.)
6. Skim the excess fat off the surface.
7. When you are ready to serve the soup, remove the Parmesan and prosciutto, then heat it up again.
8. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.
9. Slice up the prosciutto and add to the soup. Top with Parmesan shavings, add a dash of olive oil and serve.
Recipe courtesy of www.ampdev.co.za.