Décor & Gardening
Give an old T-shirt new life
Everyone has old T-shirts lying around. This fun DIY hanging planter is an easy way to make use of them and spend some time with the kids. Re-purposing your old T-shirts into a simple, yet trendy plant hanger is a great way to display indoor plants and add a splash of colour to a room. They also make wonderful gifts.
YOU WILL NEED:
– Some old T-shirts (that you don’t mind cutting up)
– A pair of scissors
– A ruler
– A pen
– Small-ish ceramic or metal pots
– A variety of small plants to plant in the pots
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. The first step is to take your T-shirt and fold it in half, lengthways. Smooth it out.
2. Next, use your ruler and pen to make a mark just below the sleeves and cut that section off – you won’t be needing the sleeves.
3. Keeping your T-shirt folded, measure eight equal strips along the side. Once they have all been measured, cut these strips taking care not to cut all the way through.
4. Unfold the T-shirt and cut through one hemmed side of each strip.
5. Gather all the strips and knot them together at one end to create the bottom of your plant hanger.
6. Next, lay your strips flat on the table and split them into four pairs. Make a knot in each pair, near the top making sure each knot will be at the same level when hanging.
7. Next, lay the material flat on the table and spread out the knotted pairs. Take one strip from one pair and another strip from another pair and knot them together, a bit lower down from the second knot. Do this until all the pairs have been knotted, bringing the last pair to the front.
8. Repeat step seven until you have sufficient material left at the bottom to tie into one big knot – this is the knot from which you will hang your planter.
9. Now it’s time to place your plant into a pot and position it into your planter. Done!