Lavender, vodka cured salmon
It’s almost the end of Women’s month so why not make this divine treat for the woman in your life or for yourself?
– 180g piece of fresh Norwegian salmon fillet, trimmed of any excess skin, bones and fat
– 1 cup coarse salt
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 handful of rinsed lavender stalks with leaves (no buds or flowers)
– 2 sprigs finely chopped fresh dill
– Zest of 1 lemon
– 5g fresh ginger (skin on), julienne cut
– 50ml Vodka
1. Combine the salt, sugar and zest in a mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle a 1cm thick layer of this mixture on the bottom of a small rimmed tray.
3. Pack out a layer of Lavender sprigs on the salt mixture in the centre line.
4. Sprinkle half of the dill over the lavender and top off with the julienne ginger.
5. Carefully place the trimmed salmon on top of the ginger.
6. Chop the remainder of the lavender leaves coarsely and mix with half of the dill. Pat herbs onto the salmon.
7. Layer with 1cm salt-sugar mixture.
8. Sprinkle the remaining ginger & lemon zest on the salt mixture and then top off with the remaining sugar-salt mixture.
Source: Capital Hotel School