Winter is almost over, so why not get the family together and indulge in a hearty beef stew while the weather still allows?
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 chopped onion
– 2 crushed garlic cloves
– 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 500g cubed beef
– 1 tbsp flour
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 1 large chopped sweet potato
– 3 chopped carrots
– 2 cups chicken stock
– 1/2 tsp salt
1. Fry the onion in butter over medium heat in a medium-sized pot until soft then add the garlic and thyme. Cook for one minute.
2. Dust the meat with the flour then add to the pot and brown the meat. Add the tomato paste, sweet potato, carrots, chicken stock and salt.
3. Cover the pot and allow to simmer on low heat for 90 minutes. (Simmering time can be increased to 90 minutes to increase the tenderness of the meat).
4. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium and allow to boil for 5 minutes uncovered to reduce the liquid and thicken the stew.
Serve with either rice, mash potato or pasta.