Pan-fried chicken in white sauce
Pack more protein into your lunch with this mouth-watering pan-fried chicken in white sauce recipe.
– 2 butterflied and pounded chicken breasts
– 1/4 tsp paprika
– 1/4 tsp onion powder
– 1/4 tsp garlic powder
– 1/2 cup flour (divided)
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 cup milk
– Salt and pepper (to taste)
– 2 broccoli florets
1. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet or back of a heavy frying pan. Alternatively, you can buy the chicken breasts already butterflied.
2. Dry the chicken breasts then season with the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Dredge the chicken pieces into the flour and shake off excess flour and set aside. Reserve two tablespoons of flour for later.
3. Pour the oil into a non-stick skillet and heat on medium-high heat until oil begins to simmer. Add chicken and sauté on each side, until it is golden brown and developed a thin crust. Remove from pan and place on a plate to keep warm.
4. Mix the two tablespoons of butter together with the reserved tablespoons of flour and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
5. When the roux has formed, add one cup of milk, slowly and stir constantly, to make the white sauce. If you desire a thinner sauce add more milk. Allow the sauce to reduce to your desired thickness and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
6. Steam the broccoli florets according to your favourite method.
7. Return chicken to the pan and smother with the sauce. When the chicken has been heated through, serve immediately with the broccoli.