How to responsibly treat your pet
What would life be without delicious food and tasty treats?
Before overdoing it with pet treats, the Pet Food Industry Association of Southern Africa (PFI), shares a few pointers on how to treat your pets responsibly:
– A pet’s diet,which is made up of their daily food rations, all treats that are given and/or used during training and table scraps, need to be balanced and complete.
To calculate your pet’s daily intake, consider all of the above to ensure that the total thereof meets your pet’s individual energy requirements.
– Treats shouldn’t be given in stead of a complete diet but to compliment full nutrition instead.
To ensure that you’re feeding your pet the best that you can afford, buy them PFI member brands food.
This will ensure that your pet gets the right combination of nutrients, vitamins and minerals on a daily basis.
Keep in mind that treats shouldn’t take up more than 10 percent of a pet’s diet and their normal food rations should be adjusted accordingly.
– Seeing as there are numerous human foods that pets shouldn’t eat, only pet appropriate treats are recommended over table scraps and bones.
Many human foods may pose a health risk to pets if ingested.
– Legally, only pet foods that make a nutritional claim need to be registered with the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
However, PFI requests that their treat producing members register with the department.
This means that your pets safety is better ensured when they’re treated with a PFI member brand.
– To compliment a complete and balanced diet, accompany it with fresh and clean water daily as well as regular exercise to assist with maintaining a healthy weight.