A special Father’s day spread for dad
Father’s day is a day for families to celebrate dad and to spoil him rotten with gifts and surprises. Why not add this heart-warming butter chicken to the list of surprises you’ve got planned for dad?
– 1/2 cup chicken stock
– 1/2 tsp chili powder
– 1 cup fresh cream
– 1 tbsp mustard seeds
– 1 finely chopped large onion
– 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
– 1 tbsp crushed garlic
– 1 tsp garam masala
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 3 tbsp ghee/vegetable oil
– 6 chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces and seasoned)
– 8 toasted cardamom pods (seeds grounded)
– 100 g cold butter (cubed)
– 400 g large peeled and grated juicy tomatoes
– Pinch of sugar
1. In a saucepan, heat two tablespoons of oil/ghee and gently sauté the chicken pieces until they’re half cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside for later.
2. Heat the remaining ghee/oil in the previously used saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Fry them for a few minutes until they pop then add the onion, ginger and garlic. Cook until fragrant then stir in the garam masala, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Make sure not to burn the spices then add an extra dash of ghee and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, cardamom, tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce becomes fragrant.
4. Pour the sauce into a food processor and blend until smooth. Return the smooth sauce to the saucepan then add the cream. Bring the sauce to a simmer and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
5. Return the chicken to the saucepan and warm through. Stir in the cubed butter pieces just before serving.
Serving suggestion: spoon the butter chicken into a bowl and garnish with chopped coriander and cashew nuts and serve with hot Basmati rice.
Recipe courtesy of Jenny Morris and Siemens