Beauty & Fashion
Protecting your lips during winter
As the weather gets colder and skin care routines change, we need to take extra care of our lips to prevent them from getting dry and chapped.
So how do you protect your lips during winter? These are the do’s and don’ts of winter lip care.
– Use lip balm: opt for those that are high in emollients and have petrolatum (petroleum jelly) and dimethicone as ingredients.
– Use a base: apply a natural base on your lips before applying lipstick or lip gloss. Make sure to reapply throughout the day and before bed.
– Cover up when you go outside: protect your lips when you go outside by wearing a scarf. Remember to also use a lip balm that offers sun-protection.
– Drink water: counter dehydration by drinking water. Dehydration leads to dried out and chapped lips.
– Avoid licking your lips: ever wondered why your lips feel drier after you “moisturise” with saliva? Saliva dries lips out and licking will take moisture from your skin.
– Don’t peel or bite flaky skin: the skin on our lips is thin and delicate, peeling or biting will only cause bleeding and discomfort, not to mention slow down the recovery process of chapped lips.
– Avoid exfoliating: exfoliating when lips are already chapped will cause further damage. Reach for your lip balm instead.