Chicken and mushroom pies
Pies make an amazing meal but homemade pies are even better…try out this chicken, mushroom and dill pie!
– 1/4 fresh or sour cream
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– 1 beaten egg
– 1 tbsp flour
– 1 – 2 tbsp lemon juice
– 2 x 250 g sheets frozen all-butter puff pastry
– 3-4 tbsp chopped dill
– 250 g chopped mixed mushrooms
– 300 g shredded rotisserie chicken
– Sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
– Thick sour cream (serving – optional)
1. Blitz the mushrooms together with the broth, cream, flour and seasoning. Cook until it boils and begins to slightly thicken, making sure to stir continuously.
2. Stir in the dill, chicken and lemon juice. Adjust the seasoning accordingly and allow to cool before using.
3. To make the pies, defrost the pastry slowly in the fridge. Make sure the pastry sheets are still cold but easy to handle. Then place each sheet into a sheet of baking paper.
4. Place one cup of filling down the centre of the sheet and roll over to encase the filling. Do the same for the second sheet of pastry. Place the stuffed pastries into the fridge while you heat the oven to 190°C.
5. Slash the pastries diagonally then brush them with beaten egg and bake until bronzed and cooked through. Once cooked, allow to stand for a few minutes then slice each pie into two or three portions.
Serve hot with either fresh or sour cream or pair the pies with a side salad of leafy greens.