Smoked cheddar and lentil burgers
Meatless meals aren’t just healthier but they can also save you money. Oh, yes and they are just as delicious! This smoked cheddar and lentil burger recipe is proof.
– 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
– 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
– 3/4 tsp garlic powder
– 3/4 tsp paprika
– 1 cup dried lentils
– 1 tsp olive oil
– 1 cup finely chopped onion
– 1 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
– 1 1/4 tsp salt
– 2 cups trimmed arugula
– 2 bay leaves
– 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
– 2 1/2 cups water
– 3 large lightly beaten eggs whites
– 8 tsp ground mustard
– 8 tomato slices
– 8 toasted sandwich buns
– Cooking spray
1. Place the water, lentils and bay leaves in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil then cover. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender and discard the bay leaves. Drain the lentils and place them in a large bowl and mash slightly then allow to cool slightly.
2. In a medium non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and add the onion and carrots. Sauté until tender. Then add the onion mixture, cheese, breadcrumbs, thyme, salt, garlic powder, paprika, ground black pepper, ground red pepper and the lightly beaten egg whites to the bowl with lentils.
3. Mix the ingredients together well then cover and chill for 45 minutes. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions then shape the portions into thick patties.
4. Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. Add four patties and cook them on each side until they’re done and repeat with the remaining patties.
5. Spread one teaspoon on the top half of each bun then place one patty on the bottom half of each bun. Top each burger with a tomato slice and 1/4 cup of the arugula.
Pair the burgers with fries then serve and enjoy!